Did you know that periodontal disease is the main cause of tooth loss in adults?
All our dental hygienists are specially trained in the prevention and treatment of gum (periodontal) disease. Treating and preventing periodontal disease
- Detailed explanation of periodontal disease.
- Oral hygiene instruction.
- Removal of plaque and hard (calculus) deposits
- Discuss secondary factors that cause periodontal disease, for example smoking and diabetes.
- Discuss how periodontal disease could affect or complicate other health problems, for example heart disease.
- Regular maintenance visits every 3 – 6 months
Oral hygiene advice
- Demonstrate effective tooth brushing technique to remove plaque without causing tooth wear and receding gums.
- Discuss the latest oral hygiene products.
- Advice on the best aid to clean in between teeth.
Prevention of tooth decay (caries) and erosion
- Discuss in detail the reasons for tooth caries and erosion.
- Give dietary advice on how to reduce sugary and acidic food and drink.
The benefits of visiting the Dental Hygienist
- Change red and inflamed gums to a healthy pink.
- Stop gums from bleeding when brushing.
- Prevent teeth from becoming mobile and drifting.
- Prevent unpleasant tastes and bad breath by the damaging bacteria in the mouth.
- Remove food and drink stains.
And remember; where would your teeth be without your gums?